Probably, you might be thinking of preparing a delicious food for your beloved friend. If yes, you should also think not just of buying dog foods, instead, making homemade dog food. Aside from the fact that you exactly know what your dog wants, you can also have various options about what to feed him. However, you should be wary enough on how to properly prepare a food for your dog.
Tips for Making Homemade Dog Food
There could be a number of health benefits which come along with preparing your dog foods at home. You will also be at peace knowing that dogs are also getting what they actually need to maintain optimal health.
So, here are some tips on how to make homemade dog food:
- One of the most important factors is to balance the diet of the dogs. Once it isn’t balanced, it would become less than ideal and could ultimately result in a number of deficiencies. If minerals or vitamins lack, dogs could run into some health problems quickly. And this is particularly true with puppies, so make sure they have balanced diet. The diet of the dogs by making them healthy and delicious dog foods.
- Choosing meat is also crucial. Meat, either cooked or raw, is known as the base ingredient of homemade dog food. Dogs are carnivores, and they thrive on a protein-based diet. So, for meat options, you can choose from lamb, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, venison, buffalo, ostrich and more. You have to make sure that the meat is both fit and fresh for human consumption. It is acceptable to feed fish occasionally, but it shouldn’t be the main ingredient.
- Next is to consider vegetables, which should make up about ¼ of the meal and should offer minerals, fibre and vitamins. Dogs will get more nutrients from vegetables once they are lightly pureed, steamed or chopped. Some of the vegetables that you can include are pumpkin, squash, carrots, peas, zucchini, beets, broccoli, yams, green beans, cauliflower and sweet potato. You should avoid potato, onion, bell peppers, tomato, raw beans, spinach, chard, leek, garlic and beet greens..
- Besides, you should avoid feeding dogs with carbs like potatoes, brown rice, wheat, corn and rice. Canine friends lack the digestive enzymes to break down and to metabolize carbs. They have no nutritional value for dogs and just go right through to their digestive tract. Often, carbs are the primary cause of most canine diseases such as kidney disease, obesity, allergies and inflammatory bowel disease.
- And finally, just have fun and enjoy preparing dog foods at home. You can play around with different combinations, or merely observe which one your dog loves the most!
These are some of the tips that you should bear in mind as you prepare the meals for your dogs.
Sample for Healthy and Delicious Homemade Dog Food
Homemade dog food is a lot healthier than numbers of dog foods available in the market. And it could also be a lot cheaper too. Though it takes a bit of time to make your own dog food, still you could make extra and store in the freezer for future use.
Vegetable and Turkey Dinner
Of course, this basic dog food recipe has vegetables for minerals and vitamins and turkey for protein. Turkey offers less fat than beef, so this is indeed an ideal recipe for puppies which could stand to lose a few pounds.
Prepare the following ingredients:
- Four cups of water
- A pound of ground turkey
- Two cups of brown rice
- A cup of chopped carrots
- A cup of chopped green beans
- A tablespoon of fish oil
And follow these instructions:
- First, in a non-stick skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium heat up until the meat is well-cooked. Avoid using heavy oil as this might upset the stomach of the dog.
- Next, add the water, brown rice and turkey to a big pot and set it to boil.
- Now, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional fifteen minutes or more until the rice becomes tender and soft.
- Add the green beans and carrots. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes up until the vegetables are already tender.
- Finally, allow cooling first before serving. You can also store extra dinners in the fridge that could last for about five days.
There you have it! You can already feed your dog with your healthy and delicious homemade dog food.
Do you have any other recipes? Share them below!